For rules regarding home schooled children on set, click here.

Home Schooling and Independent Study Options

Connections Academy

(800) 382-6010

33272 Valle Road
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

(866) 512-2273 x 8206

•    Could act as public charter school if applicable in your state
•    Elementary through grade 8 (currently)
•    Virtual School must have internet access – 20-30% is online
•    Curriculum could be purchased separately if charter school is
not available in your state. Rates vary depending on grade.

Laurel Springs School
Tel: 805-646-2473
Fax: 805-646-0186
P.O. Box 1440 • Ojai, CA 93024-1440

•    K through 12th grade independent study program
•    Web based, project based or text based curriculum
•    WASC Accredited through 2006
•    Cost: Varies depending on grade level

Options For Youth
OFY Home Study Program
Burbank Facility
1701 W. Verdugo Avenue
Burbank, CA 91506
Tel: 818-566-1570

•    California based independent study program
•    Tailored for K through 12 students
•    WASC Accredited through 2008
•    Offers Independent Study (must attend 2x weekly)
•    Offers Home Study (must attend 1x monthly)
•    Cost: FREE! Non-profit org. NO FEE!

Prestique Academy

(818) 456-4691

21338 Dumetz Road
Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Brilliant Learning
P.O. Box 2054
Kingsland, GA 31548
see also:

Calvert School
Tel: 1-888-487-4652
Maryland, USA

Seton Home Study School
1350 Progress Drive
Front Royal, VA 22630
Tel: 540-636-9990

University of Nebraska – Lincoln
NU – Independent Study High
P.O. Box 888400
Lincoln, NE 68588-8400
Tel: 866-700-4747

University of Tennesee
Distance Education & Independent Study
Conference Center Building
600 Henley Street, Suite 208
Knoxville, TN 37996-4126
Tel: 1-800-670-8657

Forming Your Own California Private School in Your Home
In California, families can legally homeschool their children by establishing a private school in their home and complying with the private school requirements of the California Education Code. Five items must be placed in a special file folder or binder to make your home into a private school in California. You then file the Private School Affidavit in early October to inform the State Department of California Department of Education that you have formed your private school by creating this set of documents.

Filing the Private School Affidavit (formerly called the R4)
The California Department of Education makes the PSA form available from about October 1 (or earlier) through May every year.

Other helpful homeschooling websites:

California Homeschool Network

Davidson Insitute for Talent Development

Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth

Stanford’s EPGY, and

Gifted Homeschoolers Forum