Entertainment work permits

Minors aged 15 days to 18 years employed in the entertainment industry must have a permit to work, and employers must have a permit to employ, both permits being issued by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. These permits are also required for minors making phonographic recordings or who are employed as advertising or photographic models. Permits are required even when the entertainment is noncommercial in nature. There is no fee to obtain an entertainment work permit. The application for permission to work in the entertainment industry must be filled out completely and mailed, along with any required documents and a pre-addressed, stamped envelope, to any office of the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Or you can submit the application online. To find the nearest DLSE office, use the division’s office locator. Please note that the Van Nuys Office, located at 6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Room 100, (818-901-5484) is available for walk-in service from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Unit Office closed noon to 1:00 p.m.


You can now renew permits online.


Print their special page to be filled out by the school. Then pencil over the seal and scan. Wait a few days to be approved and then you can print the new permit from your computer.


Temporary 10 day entertainment work permits are now available in CA online–instantly.

The link to access the application is here: https://permits.dir.ca.gov/tewp/

Effective January 1, 2012, California Labor Code Section 1308.5 allows a parent or guardian of a minor to apply on-line for a 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit which is issued immediately upon completion of an application and payment of the $50.00 application fee. This 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit is subject to the following conditions:

  • It can only be issued once for a minor.
  • It is only available to minors at least 15 days old and under 16 years old.
  • It is only available to a minor whose parent or guardian has not previously applied for an Entertainment Work Permit.
  • It is only available to a minor who has not previously been issued an Entertainment Work Permit.
  • Due to the medical certification required per California Labor Code Section 1308.8 for minors between 15 days and one month old; 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permits cannot be issued immediately for minors between 15 days and one month old. Following receipt and verification of the medical certification, the parent or guardian will receive an e-mail within one business day that the 10 Day Temporary Entertainment Work Permit has been approved and is ready for printing.

For more information about work permits, click here.

For work permits outside of the State of CA, click here.

Blanket Permits[8 CCR 11754]

  • granted to groups and organizations of minors
    • individual work requires individual permit [8 CCR 11753]
  • valid only for a particular production and only for specified periods of time
  • Company must submit:
    • proof of valid workers’ compensation insurance to cover minors
    • satisfactory evidence that appropriate services of studio teachers will be provided (Special arrangements may be made for the number of studio teachers required with groups of minors numbering one hundred (100) or more.)
  • one parent or guardian necessary for every twenty (20) minors, or fraction thereof

Requirements for obtaining a blanket permit

Application for obtaining a blanket permit

Parental consent form for minors under a blanket permit