16 and 17 Year Olds

[8 CCR 11760 f]REQUIRED
school daysif not graduate: 3611/210 1/2
non – school days0821/210 1/2
  • when a 16 or 17 year-old attends his/her own school prior to reporting to work, he/she may be at place of employment for 4 1/2 hours, which includes a 30-minute meal period [Div. Mgt. Memo 87-1, IV C]
  • for 16 or 17 year-olds studio teachers are required for education only [8CCR 11755.1]
  • parents/guardians need not accompany 16 or 17 year-olds on set or location [8 CCR 11757]
  • minors do not need to attain a minimum age to graduate from high school
  • to qualify for a Certificate of Proficiency, a minor must be at least 16 years of age, or have been enrolled for one academic year in 10th grade, or have completed one academic year of enrollment in 10th grade at the end of the semester in which the test was taken ( Education Code, Sec.48412)
  • if minor has satisfied the educational requirements of the State of California (diploma, Proficiency), neither an entertainment work permit nor a studio teacher is required [Education Code, Sec. 49101; Labor Code, Sec. 1286], and the minor may work the same hours as an adult [Labor Code, Sec. 1391.2]. CCR Title 8 does not apply.
  • minors 16 or 17 need an entertainment work permit but under the following circumstances a studio teacher is not required:
    • if the minor has completed the required amount of educational instruction for the day [Div. Mgt. Memo 87-1, VI A, a, b]
    • if the emancipation documents of the minor specifically exempt that minor from the provisions of the Labor Code and the Education Code