For more info, check the SAG-AFTRA website here: http://www.sagaftra.org/content/steps-join
Steps to JoinHow do I Qualify?
A performer becomes eligible for SAG-AFTRA membership under one of the following two conditions: (1) proof of SAG or AFTRA employment or (2) employment under an affiliated performers’ union.
- Proof of Employment
SAG-AFTRA membership is available to those who work in a position covered by a SAG-AFTRA (or AFTRA or SAG) collective bargaining agreement, provided that any person qualifying through work as a background actor must have completed three (3) days of work as a background actor under a SAG-AFTRA (or AFTRA or SAG) collective bargaining agreement.
- Employment Under an Affiliated Performers’ Union
Performers may join SAG-AFTRA if the applicant is a paid-up member of an affiliated performers’ union (ACTRA, AEA, AGMA or AGVA) for a period of one year and has worked and been paid for at least once as a principal performer in that union’s jurisdiction.
How do I Join?
Legitimacy of Application
- Your application and proof of employment will be fully investigated by the Union for validity. Your application for SAG-AFTRA membership will be denied if you have falsified your credentials, or if your qualifying employment is not bona fide.
- While it is your responsibility to ascertain the validity of your qualifying employment, the Union will be the sole arbiter in determining whether the employer was legitimate or bogus, and whether the qualifying employment which you performed was actual production work or work created solely to enable you to gain Union membership. Please be aware that false representation or deception on your part will jeopardize your chances to join the Union.
- Further, if after your application has been granted the Union discovers such misconduct on your part, you may find yourself subject to disciplinary proceedings, which could result in your being fined, suspended and/or expelled from the Union.
Appointments for Admission
If you are eligible under the conditions stated above, please contact your nearest SAG-AFTRA office so we can advise you of the amount of your joining fees.
Submitting Proof of SAG-AFTRA Eligibility
You may contact the Union about your eligibility status. If your file is not on record or incomplete, you may submit one of the following documents as proof of eligibility:
- Original paycheck stubs.
- Original activity print-out or report from the payroll company that states your name, social security number, the name of the production company, the title of the production, the salary paid in dollar amount, and the specific date(s) worked. The payroll company must submit this document directly to the SAG-AFTRA Membership Services Department.
Background vouchers and copies of paycheck stubs are not acceptable as proof of work. Submitting these types of documents will only delay verifying your SAG-AFTRA eligibility.
If you provide the Union with your original paycheck stubs, please make copies for your records before submitting them to the office.
In addition to enclosing proper eligibility documentation, you will need to include a separate piece of paper with your name, current address, current telephone number, and date of birth. A self-addressed stamped envelope must also be included so that we may return your documents to you. We ask that you print clearly to avoid input errors. Once verification is completed, you will receive a letter of eligibility from the Union.
Please mail your document to:
Membership Services Department – Proof of Eligibility
5757 Wilshire Blvd. 7th fl
Los Angeles, CA 90036
You may also deliver your documents in person to the 1st Floor receptionist at the above address.
Once you have submitted your eligibility documents, please wait until you receive your original documents back in the mail before contacting us at (323) 549-6769 regarding joining fees.
All new members pay a one-time-only initiation fee, plus the first semiannual dues at the time of joining. The national initiation fee rate is currently $3000.00 (initiation fees may be lower in some states). Annual Base dues are $198.00. In addition, work dues are calculated at 1.575 percent of covered earnings up to $500,000.